Dating A BJJ Girl: 5 Tips To Getting Started - (bjjgirl.net)
by Emma Valdez
Most of us know what it is like to look for love in all the wrong places. We are only human: we tend to want what we want, when we want it, and sometimes have trouble keeping perspective. This is especially true in today’s dating scene, where everybody has a friend (if they aren’t the friend) that is so obviously with someone that they should not be with. Then there’s the side-story, of the friend that tried to make a difference by sharing much needed advice, but ends up destroying their own relationship in order to drive the two hell-mates closer together. Do I sound bitter??
Thankfully, I’m not venting about my own personal life, but just noticing what seems to be all around me. Since finding my one True Love (Jiu-Jitsu), my perspective is clearer than it has ever been. The black eyes, ripped out hair, cut skin and spider-guard knuckles are my new boyfriends, and I plan to keep them around indefinitely. Still though, what’s a girl to do on a Friday night after open mat, when I’m just looking for someone to talk to (About BJJ of course)? Any single woman who loves Jiu-Jitsu would probably agree, that a good date with a great guy that knows about dating a BJJ Girl is the best-case scenario.
I have to hand it to you guys, we don’t make it easy. Going out with you feels like I’m cheating on my… Mat! Especially if you don’t train.
Did I hear you correctly? Did you just ask me if I want to skip training three weeks before Pan Ams? To go see 50 Shades of Grey?? I read the book; I’d much rather learn that awesome Omoplata-Choke that the guest teacher is showing tonight. You can enjoy Mr. Grey with someone else, because I’ll be counting taps and bruises while you are wondering why I am such a boring chick.
OKAY, RANT OVER. HERE’S MY BEST TIPS FOR DATING A BJJ GIRL.
1. NEVER ASSUME THAT A DATE WILL TRUMP TRAINING, BECAUSE IT WON’T.
I’ve given up a lot in pursuit of the BJJ Lifestyle. Friends mourn the days that I used to go to parties, stay out late dancing, and take chances with men that my family warned me about. If you think for a moment that I’m taking a night off to stumble through an awkward conversation at dinner about your job as a (insert boring thing I can’t remember here), then we might as well just stop things right there.
Want some ideas for a BJJ Girl first date? Here’s a few:
– Offer to go with me to a cool school that allows guest students to visit. I love to travel and meet new BJJ peeps, so showing that you are okay with that by taking me to a place where I’ve never been before, strictly to train Jiu-Jitsu would be a big plus in my book.
– Exercise date: Let’s go to the gym, or maybe out for a jog on a nice day. I can’t speak for all BJJ Girls, but I’d love to go for a bike ride, or meet at the park to play some basketball (be nice: I’m tall, but a horrible shot). If you are willing to work up a sweat with me with your clothes on, it shows me you aren’t just another guy dedicated to getting my clothes OFF! :p
– If you are feeling ballsy, volunteer to come to a class at my own school. I would love to train with you where I feel most comfortable and at home. Just know that all of my BJJ Guys are like my big brothers, and they will want to put you through their own assessments! Carlson Gracie Temecula guys are classy though; if you are nice to me, they will be nice to you ;).
2. UNDERSTAND THAT RANDOMNESS AND SPONTANEITY WILL ALWAYS HAVE TO DO WITH TRAINING. Click here to continue reading.